2.22.2013

That Time We Gave Up Shopping For Lent {Link Up}

Yep, you read that right. I gave up shopping for Lent! A few of my favorite blogger ladies did as well! We decided to group together for support and to bring you a fun series over the next few weeks on how to deal with being on a 'shopping ban'.


Sydney @ Summer Wind

 As a Catholic, I grew up giving up something I love during each Lenten season. But, this isn't my first rodeo when it comes to a 'shopping ban' whether it be for lent or just because; so I have a few tips for you all:

1. Change your thinking. When you start to think "That new sweater would look perfect with my (insert item of clothing)!" or "This new necklace is so pretty and it's on sale! I HAVE to have it!" or "But, I've wanted this item for FOREVER!" that's exactly the point where you should think about your closet (in my case ROOM) that I can't keep clean because I have so much. Really, we are all very blessed and don't really need any of these things. 

2. Concentrate on your other interests. If online shopping when you're bored is your problem (like it is mine) try to instead fill your time by researching your other interests. Maybe a new book has come out, or there's a new recipe you want to try. Or even a craft project you've been neglecting. You could even watch a video on how to improve your golf swing. For me it's very important that I develop all areas of my life, not just having the cutest new clothes.

3. Unsubscribe from company email lists. If you don't know about an upcoming sale or new arrivals, you won't be tempted to shop it. And for heaven's sake, don't 'just swing' by the mall! What other reason would bring you there expect to shop?!

4. Shop your closet (or your best friend's!). If you are anything like me, you probably already have the 'perfect' item to complete an outfit or something similar buried away in your closet. Maybe one of your friends is the same size and you want to do a little switch-a-roo! Nothing like a few 'new' pieces, just make sure you give it back (and they will too).

Hope this was helpful to everyone!! Make sure to check out Shelby, Krista, and Sydney's blogs for their tips too!!

5 comments :

Sheri Ann || Sprinkles and Style said...

I did this last year and it was really rewarding! Much easier than I thought it would be too! Good luck!

Cortney said...

I am on day 4 of no shopping--so much harder than I thought it would be.

Kat@shop.school.sleep. said...

I'm on month 2 of no shopping, thou I did break down for tea and a new shirt/ cardigan. I couldn't help it hahah

Brittney Blair said...

this is such a good idea, I'm gonna give it a try!

Portuguese Prepster said...

I really should have done this. If anything i've been on a terrible shopping kick since lent started! ugh! I need self control!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...