8.20.2014

Thrifting

 My favorite type of shopping is actually thrifting. I just love to look for little trinkets to fill our home. Older things seem to fit better with our more traditional style and of course I love a deal! I've consistently found the best/highest quality things at St. Vincent de Paul.

I recently put together this little vignette (it's currently hiding my grandmother's sewing machine) with a few thrifted items! I paid $10 for the large ginger jar and .50 cents for the little blue and white bowl. 

Candle // Calligraphy poem from our wedding // Book

I few types of things I look for while thrifting:

Blue and white ginger jars, platters, plates and vases. As a general rule, I like to look for pieces that are made in England or Europe (there will be a stamp on the back) and pass on pieces made in China. I love to rotate the plates and platters I hang on the wall.

Teacups. I'm slowly building up my teacup collection and I'm always on the look out for fun bright sets. Once again I'd rather buy a set that is bone china but not made in china.

Books or book sets with beautiful bindings (remove the jacket) that can be used for display.

Cut crystal glassware. We received a set of beautiful Waterford crystal glasses for our wedding, but it is nice to have some 'backup' glasses for more rowdy guests (no sweat off my back if it gets broken). I look for glassware that is heavy, has a pretty design and doesn't have a 'seam' where the glass pieces were put together. IMO, it's fine for these pieces to be mismatched. I've also seen pretty punchbowl sets, candle sticks and vases.

Beautiful picture frames. You can change out the picture and clean up the frame if you've found something really nice.

Silver. I've found a really nice tea service set, a large platter and other serveware. Look past the tarnish but make sure it seems heavy and well made.

Furniture. I actually haven't purchased anything becasue we aren't in need, but look for things that are solid wood, with pretty details and is made with tounge and grooves.

What do you look for when thrifting?? Any tried and true places?? Do tell!! XO

3 comments :

Portuguese Prepster said...

I love antique pieces! Especially in my homestate of Virginia, there are just many fabulous antique shops, you would love it!

Kristin said...

Great tips! I usually get overwhelmed sifting through junk while thrifting. This helps give me an idea of what to look for!

Kristin
thedixiedaisy.blogspot.com

Net, the Movie Blogger said...

You can never go wrong with Waterford Crystal. I also love pink depression glass and old frames.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...